Intramural/Recreational Sports

The Intramural/Recreational Sports program is an organized recreation program  for University of Alberta students, faculty members and staff. The program is open to people in every skill category from beginner to advanced.

Intramurals is Hiring!

Looking for a flexible part-time job? How about one that has an impact your on fellow students, and the University as a whole? 

Intramurals is now hiring! We are always in search enthusiastic and knowledgeable folks interested in joining our team as Referees, Game Staff, and Event Supervisors.

Check our Employment Opportunities page for the latest. 

Concussions and Return to Play

Recreation Services in conjunction with Parachute Canada have added information on concussions and return to play criteria for intramural participants.  Go there now...


This year participants will have the option to register in person at the Customer Service Centre (Room 1-213 Van Vliet Centre) or to use our online registration system

  • Please note that MOST of the Intramural / Rec Sports activities will be available via online registration.
  • See the calendar below for a complete listing of our Intramural / Rec Sports.

Register Now


Why do we offer intramural/recreational sports?

  • To offer members of the University community opportunities to enjoy recreation and socialising through a variety of sporting and recreational activities.
  • To create community and involvement which enhance the University experience in an inclusive, sociable environment

Who can join?

All undergraduate and graduate students who have paid the Athletic and Recreation fee are automatically given a Recreation Services intramural membership for the academic term associated with their fee.

Information about participation for U of A faculty and staff  (non-students)

Recreation Services Intramural Membership for Non-Students

Non-students are classified as

  • Staff (AASUA and NASA members)
  • Trust, excluded and term appointments
  • Post doctoral appointments and other affiliated staff
  • Alumni of the University
  • Staff and faculty members' family members
  • Members of the community
  • Anyone not enrolled in academic classes
  • Students who do not pay the Athletic and Recreation fee (i.e. Faculty of Extension students or students on work terms)

About membership for Non-Students

  • Participants must have a valid ONEcard identifying their current status on campus
  • Must be 18 years of age, unless a University of Alberta student
  • Memberships are sold on a term basis
  • Purchase intramural memberships at the Activity Registration Zone (W-79, Van Vliet Centre) or the Equipment Room (W-78, Van Vliet Centre)
  • Members may register for intramural activities (some restrictions apply)
  • Van Vliet Centre recreational use privileges are not included, but may be purchased separately.
For more information regarding purchasing an Intramural Membership

Intramural or Recreational Sports are among the most popular pastimes for students and others on campus, who want to enjoy recreation and sport in good company, so please join us!